You saw these apple rabbits in the book, Masako’s Bento Lunchbox Surprise. Now you can learn to make them at home.
Important: Get an adult to use the knife and do the cutting for you. Kids can help make the water bath and eat the trimmings.
- 1. Cut an apple into half. Cut each half in half, so you have 4 quarters.
- 2. Remove the core by making two cuts from each end, toward the center, like a wide V shape.
- 3. Throw the cores into the compost pile.
- 4. You will have 8 wedges. Each one will become one rabbit.
- 5. Using a sharp, pointed knife, cut a V from about the center of the apple peel, to the outside edges of the apple wedge. You are making the apple peel look like bunny ears.
- 6. Next, carefully cut just under the skin, from the end of the wedge, toward the bottom of the V you just cut. Be sure your knife goes under all of the apple peel, including the pieces on the sides of the V-cut.
- 7. It might be easier to cut the middle part of the peel along with one side of the V first, like this:
- …And then cut under the peel on the other side, just until you get under the tip of the V-cut.
- 8. Prepare your water bath. (This is the part kids can do!!) You will need either acidulated water (water with some acid), or salt water.
- 9. Add your apple slice.
- 10. Repeat cutting the other 7 slices. If you have trouble, don’t worry. Go slowly, and you will get better with practice.
- 11. Put all slices into your water bath.
- 12. Leave the rabbits in the water bath for about 15-30 minutes. Ice water will make the ears stand up higher.
- 13. When you are done, remove your bunnies. If you want them to stand up on a board or plate without falling over, cut off a section of both tips, to create a flat surface to rest on.
- 14. All done. Add your bunnies to your lunch, or put them on a plate for a party, or eat them as a snack.
The salt or acid prevents the apples from turning brown. And it also makes the ears stand up.
1 cup water
1 cup ice cubes (about 8 ice cubes)
1 teaspoon orange, lemon, or lime juice
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
To make the water bath, put all ingredients for either the acidulated water or the salt water into a bowl.